As Kelly and Jean’s situation shows;
- Asking for help can be difficult
- Others don’t always know when we need help – we need to tell them.
- If we don’t communicate our need for help it can leave us feeling frustrated and neglected
- If others know we will ask for help when needed:
- It stops them jumping in too soon
- It gives them the confidence to allow us to ‘have a go’
- Good communication is really important
Something to try
- People tend to need help with a lot of different things after stroke, e.g. talking, housework, getting around, sharing how they are feeling.
- Is there anything you need help with, but have been afraid to ask?
- You may find it helpful to explore Talking & Sharing.