Stress can affect you in different ways as we will explore in this section.
Stress causes a hormone called adrenaline to be released in your body. This helps you cope with the pressures of life.
When you get adrenaline from feeling stressed you get energized, blood rushes through you and your heart beats faster. You may have heard this being called the “fight” or “flight” response.
Let’s look at the physical effects of stress
View text alternative
- Digestive problems, upset stomach including diarrhoea and constipation, nausea or feeling ‘a knot’ in the stomach
- Aches, pains and tense muscles
- Chest pains and rapid heart beat
- Feeling sweaty with a dry mouth
- Cold or sweaty hands and feet
- Nervousness and shaking
- Loss of sexual desire and / or ability
- Low energy
- Low immune system (increase in coughs and colds)
Now let’s look at how stress can affect the mind.
Something to think about
Are you affected in any of these ways? It could be that you are feeling stressed.